Thursday, January 14, 2010

Nap time

Caleb has decided to oppose nap time at home. Every weekend after lunch he states "I'm not going to sleep after this, right mom." I'm never sure if it's a demand or a question. This rebellion has actually been going on for quite some time, but now is becoming harder to enforce. He asked me once why he had to take a nap and I told him it gives him energy. He looked at me and said "but I have egergy." And he is sooo right, but I didn't have a better answer for him. Nap time is important for at least two good reasons, one, it allows Mommy and Daddy time to get other things done around the house, or recently our own nap time. Two, it keeps Caleb from being uncontrollable or irrational in the evenings. I have learned to avoid the drama of answering his question (or statement) with a yes by letting him have "quiet time" in his bed where he can read his books. So far it's worked great, he reads for 30 min and then passes out for over and hour. Lexie on the other hand has been sleeping well during the day, but refuses to go to bed until at least midnight. She demands constant attention from 6 p.m. until 12 a.m. and will let you know very loudly if those demands have not been met. Unfortunately she has vetoed pacifiers and bottles since she has been home. Greg totally blames the hospital for first withholding a pacifier, and second guilting us into not introducing it for the first few weeks " to avoid confusing our breastfed baby." Caleb did great with his paci right off the bat, but I had a very unpleasant and painful time with breastfeeding him the first 8 wks which the recent Breastfeeding Consult is sure was from "introducing that paci so soon". I refuse to acknowledge the idea that this is payback from when I was an infant and supposedly refused a pacifier. According to my Mom, she too suffered long, frustrating nights due to my rebellion. Either way, Lexie is going to have to give in to a bottle soon since I go back to work Feb 1st. She obviously has no problem breastfeeding. I think she has reached the 12 lb mark this week.
Caleb is enjoying using Monte as a pillow while watching cartoons; Monte doesn't seem to mind.

1 comment:

GGG said...

Oh my gosh, she's gotten so big, so quickly! I'm so jealous, you're going to have so much cute hair to work with. I think both my girls were over a year old before I could pull off pigtails!